If you’re planning to build a new house or reconstruct the existing one, one of the main factors to consider is roofing material. There are many construction companies in Martinsburg WV that can do a great job actually installing the roof. However, your task is to choose the right material.
If you want your roof to be practical and durable, you need to choose the material in accordance to the weather conditions in your area. The ambient temperature seriously affects the service of the roof: the higher temperature the roof can tolerate, the longer its service life is. Besides, if you live near a forest and there’s a chance of a fire, you need to get fireproof material for your roof. The weather in Martinsburg can range from hot to freezing, so the roof should be suitable for the wide range of temperatures. Here’s the top 3 roofing materials that are mostly being offered:
Asphalt Shingles Roofing
Asphalt is a great material because it is available in a variety of colors and styles, it’s strong enough, easily repaired and contained.
You can choose between two types of asphalt shingles:
- Organic shingles.
They consist of organic material, usually paper saturated with asphalt to make the tile waterproof. Organic tiles contain about 40% more asphalt per square meter than fiberglass tiles, which makes it heavier and gives it excellent strength and resistance to wind.
- Fiberglass tiles.
They contain glass fiber and a strengthening mat made in the form of pebbles, which makes the glass fiber fake waterproof. Fiberglass tiles are more popular due to the fact that they are cheaper and lighter than organic ones, more profitable for homeowners and easier to work with.
Asphalt shingles are very easy to install, allowing many homeowners to do the work themselves instead of hiring roofers in Martinsburg.
Wood Shingle Roofing
The growing popularity of environmentally friendly materials used in construction work has led to the fact that now wood shingles are used in the construction of the roof. Such roofing has several features and advantages:
- Wood is an ecologically safe material.
- With proper installation and selection of material, it has a long term of service, which is measured in decades. No matter how many rains, snowfalls and weather changes will be in the area, wooden roof will stay safe.
- The natural material of the shingles is fully adapted to the environment, and additional protective coating significantly increases the life of the roof.
- Due to the special structure of wood and the technology of laying, there is no condensation under the roof.
- You can create many architectural designs with wooden roof, for example, in cottage style.
The disadvantages of the wooden roofing include complexity of installation and high price, but you can overcome them by finding a good roofing contractor in Martinsburg.
Slate is a most used material in the construction of houses in West Virginia. This material is very durable because its composition allows keeping its functional characteristics for many years. It doesn’t heat strongly from the sun’s rays and doesn’t cool too much when it’s freezing. In addition, the roof covered with slate can withstand the loads of snow in winter, as well as the weight of a person, if it’s necessary to conduct a repair. Martinsburg has frequent temperature changes, and slate is resistant to them. It is also resistant to fire, corrosion and sound. When it rains, the raindrops quietly rustle on the slate, unlike the drumbeat on the metal roof. To crown that all, slate is very affordable and easy to repair.
Still, there are some disadvantages of slate roofing:
- This material requires some physical effort during installation because it can weight a lot.
- Slate is relatively instable to moisture. The surface of the roof has to be coated with a special compound to increase water resistance, otherwise it will eventually become covered with moss.
- With careless transportation and installation, slate can easily crack and break into pieces.
However, considering the advantages and the low cost of slate, it can serve well as a roofing material.
In short, when looking for the best roofing company in Martinsburg, remember that the most important thing is warmth and comfort in your home, which depends directly on the quality of the construction work. It’s not worth saving money on your family’s health, so choose the company wisely.